Tuesday, May 08, 2007

this is how it went down.

my brother called. 'what's going on with LRB?' LRB is how we refer to our father.
'um. i dunno. what do you mean?'
his wife sent an email. i had yet to even tun on my laptop. i was trying to get the boys ready so we could take E to school.
did you get that? an email. she sent an email. to tell us that he had been life-flighted to the hospital. she didn't call. WTH? so i call the hospital. you see, my dad lives in CA but only about an hour and a half away from me even though we're in dif states. so one of the hospitals here was the closest big hospital.
so i call the hospital. nurse puts me through to LRB. he doesn't say much. i tell him i will come and see him after i take E to school.
turns out he had an ACS (short of a heart attack). they took him to the cath lab, injected the dye. he had blockage in one artery. they put a stent in. not even sure how you spell that and i'm not going to look it up.
so basially i spent my day at the hospital. his wife showed up (she is currently sleeping upstairs) and will go back and see him in the morning. he should be going home tomorrow.
if he's still at the hospital after i take E to school i will again go and see him.
we played cribbage. something he taught me. a way to pass the time. being in the hospital sucks.
what does all this mean? well.....
our relationship is far from perfect. but even so. he's still my dad. i'm not ready for him to go.
i actually know very little about his life. he knows very little about mine. but today we talked which was good.
it was nice to have that time before his wife showed up.
it's been sort of a surreal day. just not used to seeing my dad down.
saw a side of him i haven't seen in years. years people. not sure what to make of it. it's just been a wild day.

4 comments:

Sherine said...

I am sorry to hear about your father. But it sounds like it was needed in order for some healing to start. Sometimes you have to let go of the past to start a new future. You don't have to forget the past, just don't dwell on it. You were a very good daughter for being there for him. He will remember it forever. Hugs!

Lisa said...

Wow. Girl I am so sorry to hear about your dad and the way you found out just blows my mind. I'm glad you had some time to talk. Maybe the near death experience will be enough to jolt him into realizing what he's been missing by not being a bigger part of your life. I'm thinking of you my friend

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear that... especially to have to hear it like that. I'm sure he enjoyed having you there.

Shandy said...

wow! just reading it sounds surreal. I'm glad you got some alone time w/ your dad...
ok.. can't get over his wife emailing you!
((hugs))